[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #867: use ipv6

Randall Mason clashthebunny at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:43:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> I'm curious about your test setup that you intend to use to debug/test.
> I would recommend that all the machines you use have global v6 addresses
> and working global connectivity.  But, global addresses without
> connectivity should be ok for testing.  You can self-allocate via 6to4
> safely, even if you don't interoperate with it (2002://16, with the next
> 32 bits being your v4 address, and then you have 16 bits of subnet).

I have three sites: Parent's house in Boston, my apartment in Bulgaria, and
my NGO where I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer.  At my apartment, I have a Linux
box with a tunnel broker connection running that hands out addresses in my
/64.  Everything gets auto-assigned addresses (both the standard ones and
the privacy ones) from radvd running on the Linux box.  The clients are
Windows XP, OS X 10.5, Ubuntu, and Android.  At work, same thing but add in
some Windows 7 clients.  At my parent's house OS X 10.5 is the tunnel
broker end point with radvd.  I have tahoe storage nodes running at all the
sites.  I haven't ever used the fe80 addresses before, so I never saw the
intricacies of them.  Global addresses are the way to go, but like you
said, fe80 would be nice to get working some day.  The working screenshot
that I attached to my first message is using the global privacy
auto-assigned addresses except for one that connected first to the global
non-privacy auto-assigned address, I still have to find how it chose to do
that and what things it failed on to get to that point.  All of those nodes
are running on one host right now, I still haven't gone multi-host.  When I
do, it will be in my normal setup and it will be with these same global
addresses provided by HE.