[tahoe-dev] Friendnet tub.location and tub.port

Anders Genell anders.genell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:48:18 UTC 2013

Dear list!

I posted a related question recently and got som useful answers, but I am still somewhat confused as to what is required concerning incoming wan access for friendnet nodes.

Our original idea was to just set tub.port on all nodes and make sure that port was forwarded through any routers/firewalls along the way. We would then expect the introducer to detect the IPs of incoming connections from nodes and announce each node with that IP combined with the corresponding port number, as set in each node's tub.port. It would however seem like we actually need to specifically set the tub.location IP address of each node for the nodes to "see" eachother. Without it all nodes see the introducer, and the introducer sees all nodes but the nodes don't see eachother.

There have been suggestions here to let the introducer(s) handle IPs, and if I understand correctly that would work in more or less the way we assumed it already did?

Right now we have uglyhacked a script to update the tahoe.cfg file and restart the node whenever the IP changes, by regularly checking e.g. myexternalip.com. Most nodes will run on Raspberry Pi hardware so a bash script is sufficient, but a bit of python should make it more platform independent, I suppose.

My question is, should we need to set both tub.location and tub.port?
Should we need to uglyhack to update IP alternatively use som dyndns equivalent?
The introducer detects incoming IPs anyway, couldn't that be reported back to the node?

Apart from that, we now have the required minimum of four nodes running, and all seems to work fine. We can upload and download as expected, mostly using Duplicati so far.

Best regards,
Anders