[tahoe-dev] Weekly Dev Chat reports 2013-07-09 and 2013-07-16

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 16:11:27 UTC 2013

Folks: I never got around to sending my Weekly Dev Chat report for
last week, so here is last week's followed by this week's.

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly Dev Chat, 2013-07-09

in attendance: Andrew, Brian, Daira, Leif, Amber, Mark, Tariq, Zancas,
Zooko (scribe)

LeastAuthority.com is about to announce a secure backup service next week.

Customers (especially European customers) might ask for Europe-based
servers instead of USA-based servers. In Zooko's opinion, this would
not help protect those customers from NSA spying. Therefore, it is a
conundrum for Zooko about how to respond to such requests: sell them
what they want, or try to explain to them why in his opinion what they
want probably doesn't actually help them?

Andrew asked: when will we release Tahoe-LAFS v1.11? The Milestone on
the trac is marked as "end of August". It is *possible* but unlikely
that we will actually be ready then. Zooko hopes that he, Daira,
Zancas, and Leif will be way too busy supporting thousands of new
LeastAuthority.com customers!

Brian asked: what is the headlining new change in Tahoe-LAFS v1.11?
Daira said that for starters we definitely need to ship the fix for
immutable server selection that Mark has done (#1382).

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1382# immutable peer
selection refactoring and enhancements

We then depth-first recursed into the topic of the immutable server
selection. We explained to Brian that Mark has already fixed it but
there is a test that spuriously went red. We then depth-first recursed
into fixing that unit test (which Brian is the author of and was best
equipped to help Mark debug it).

We'd like to find a replacement for Google Hangouts for video
conferencing. Jitsi? Some future invention based on WebRTC?

* find ticket about upload not stalling when server stalls

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1394# upload should not
wait for all servers to respond

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly Dev Chat, 2013-07-16

in attendance: Oleksandr, Zooko (scribe), Mark, Daira, Brian

Brian helped Mark fix the test that broke when Mark fixed #1382.

Daira fixed ticket #2022.

Zooko opened #2023.

Brian will open a new ticket to describe the downloader bug discovered
by fixing the test that was broken by fixing #1382. ☺

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1382# immutable peer
selection refactoring and enhancements
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2022# Add *.DS_Store to .gitignore
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2023# regression
coincident with iputil fixes, on FreeBSD and Slackware