[tahoe-dev] some questions about tahoe-lafs

til tilllt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 01:43:00 UTC 2013

Hi Hideo,

i am not at all an expert with tahoe but maybe i can share some of my understandings:

1) there is software to use tahoe-lafs with (other) cloud storage, check out this:
https://github.com/mk-fg/tahoe-lafs-public-clouds

but there are other usage scenarios. in a "friendnet" type of environment, you and other people (i.e. your friends) would set up storage nodes on their NAS', raspberry pi's, HTPC (to name a few options) and build your own cloud-storage. Data fed into the grid is encrypted & redunantly distributed to the available storage nodes. Or you can buy the storage space, i.e. here https://leastauthority.com/

2) The terms client and gateway are sometimes used in a confusing manner in the Tahoe docs. Basically a client IS a gateway. So you could compile tahoe on your smartphone and access your storage grid. the problem is, that there is some more or less CPU intensive encryption to be done, so it depends a bit on how your device performs this task. OR you access your data by a "real" gateway, which does the de/encryption, but that entirely depends on what you want to do.

3) i have no idea

cheers,
t.