[tahoe-dev] pip install workaround (bug #2032, and related #1963)

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 21:34:22 UTC 2013

Hello,

If you install Tahoe-LAFS from PyPI (where it is called
"allmydata-tahoe") using pip, or any other setuptools approach, you
may run into a problem installing "Nevow".  The workaround is to
explicitly install "twisted" first.

This works on my box in a pristine python evironment (a new virtualenv):

  $ pip install twisted
  $ pip install allmydata-tahoe

Warning: pip >= 1.3 verifies SSL certificates for downloads.  It is
strongly recommended you do not install python packages with pip <
1.3.

I recommend installing virtualenv which comes with a bundled pip:
http://www.virtualenv.org/en/latest/

Enjoy!

nejucomo

ps: Related tickets:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2032 - pip install
failure for tahoe.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nevow/+bug/1091055 - pip install failure
for Nevow (the original culprit)

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1963 - Removing Nevow as
a LAFS dependency.

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2011 - Change the PyPI
name from "allmydata-tahoe" to "tahoe-lafs" to match the debian
package.