[tahoe-dev] suggestions for the next release

Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah) davidsarah at leastauthority.com
Thu May 2 23:32:16 UTC 2013

On 02/05/13 05:44, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>> * Put actual download links all over the site. Emphasize the download rather than quickstart.rst .
>
> I think this is already fixed by, IIRC, Peter LeBek who added a big,
> pretty "Download" button to the front page and wrote
> https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Installation . (Now at the
> moment the quickstart.rst is highlighted at the top of
> wiki:Installation, but that's only because all of the packages on
> there are still Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.2.)

Well no, because the "Run this release from source" link on that page goes
to quickstart.rst. (I'd be very much opposed to making running from source
a less-well-supported method of using Tahoe than installing.)

>> * in the longer run, I'd like to produce single-file executables for
>>   non-developer users on major platforms (we might be able to get away
>>   with OS-X/windows/linux), then remove any confusing intrusive config
>>   assistance from the source tree. Basically make the source tree for
>>   developers who are willing to install some dependencies (maybe provide
>>   some pip/virtualenv support to help), have python-dev installed, have
>>   a C compiler, etc.
>
> Well, I'm +½ on supporting binary packages for users, and I'm +1 on
> allowing people to be able to use Tahoe without having to deal with
> setuptools weirdness, but I'm -½ on taking away people's option to use
> it in the setuptools-ey way.

setuptools delenda est. I think you're conflating distutils compatibility
with setuptools, to be honest.

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥  (formerly David-Sarah)