[tahoe-dev] another tahoe frontend question

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed May 29 16:58:25 UTC 2013

tilllt:

Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear that it worked.

If anyone reading this wants to help support Tahoe-LAFS on Raspberry
Pi, we need someone to build six binary packages for armv6l: ticket
#1983.

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1983# build binary eggs
for linux-armv6l (raspberry pi)

Here are instructions for how to build them:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Packaging#binary.eggsofdependencynative-codepackages

Once they are built and uploaded to here:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html

Then it will be faster and easier for people to install Tahoe-LAFS on
Raspberry Pi than the process tilllt just did.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM, til <tilllt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> finally i got tahoe running on my Raspberry Pi. I connected successfully to the testgrid, up / downloaded some files, so things seem to work. Actually i was positively surprised by the speed, a ~ 100mb testfile took roughly 45 minutes, which is far from fast but consideringe the speed of the RPi that was doing the encryption i thought that was decent. The bottleneck in my case usually is the upload speed of the ADSL line which applies to Dropbox (and any other cloud storage) in the same way, without encryption. i wasnt aware that Tahoe encrypts and uploads at the same time, so i guess with a 1Mbit Upload speed usually the encryption is faster then the uploading...

There is a display of how much time was spent encrypting versus
uploading, linked from the "recent uploads and downloads" web page. I
would expect that somewhere between 1% and 10% as much time was spent
encrypting as spent uploading over your ADSL line. If you can find
that display and report about it in a reply, I'd be interested to see
it.

> Now the annoying part of my post: To make Tahoe really usable for me, it would need some different kind of frontend.

How about trying FUSE?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/FAQ#Q23_FUSE

> Are there plans to make a sync client, like Dropbox & Owncloud have?

My startup, LeastAuthority.com recently applied for a grant from DARPA
to make that. They turned it down. (We applied to them because they
sponsored some other work of ours.) I'm continuing to look for funding
to do that project.

> I was wondering if Sparkleshare could be a possibility... How i understand it, the default backend is Git, but it seems that for somebody who knows programming, it should be possible to create a Tahoe plugin for it:
>
> https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/wiki/Implementing-a-backend

As Olaf TNSB said, you could try git-annex, and its more user-friendly
front-end, "git-annex assistant". Joey Hess has been working hard on
that for a long time (having done a successful Kickstarter to get
people to donate to support him), and seems to have made a lot of
progress, but I haven't used git-annex myself yet. LeastAuthority.com
donates free Tahoe-LAFS storage server space to Joey, and he uses it
through git-annex assistant.

In general, yes plugging Tahoe-LAFS in as a backend or a patch to one
of these things like ownCloud, SparkleShare, etc. seems like a
promising approach. As far as I know git-annex has the most mature
Tahoe-LAFS integration among those.