[tahoe-dev] Precise Puppy (linux) tahoe-lafs 1.10.0 initial report

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:20:04 UTC 2013

Welcome, Garonda Rodian!

Thanks for the nice user report!

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Garonda Rodian <deepside at hotmail.com> wrote:

> First, let me say the quickstart guide is great;

Thanks for the positive feedback! We get a lot of negative feedback on
the docs for new users, and so I still want to improve them (see
#1024). But it is nice to know that the current docs work well for
some users.

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1024# introductory docs
are confusing and off-putting

> if I get farther along, I may attempt to build a "quick config" menu system/wizard/installer to reduce the need for editing text files for the average user.

That's an interesting idea! There are only a few things that need to
be configured, but that is still a big hurdle to users who aren't
comfortable with the command-line and with using text editors on
config files.

> P.S. If I'm lucky, the Raspberry Pi has completed its trial run, though if this is the RAM requirement, I'm not holding out much hope.

It is too bad about #1476, because I really like to be able to run
unit tests everywhere and all the time. However, I believe that the
gateway or storage-server itself will run fine on Raspberry Pi, even
if (due to #1476) the tests will fail.

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1476# unit tests running
out of memory on FranXois lenny-armv5tel buildbot or on a 613 MiB EC2

> P.P.S. Has anyone tried tahoe-lafs on the Debian (Ubuntu, if you must) build for an ODROID-U2 or ODROID-XU?  Those look like the logical next step up in the small ARM space.

I've never heard of these. I must say that they sound pretty cool! I'm
pretty sure Tahoe-LAFS will compile and run just fine on those, on
either Debian or Ubuntu, except possibly with the #1476 issue again.

> P.P.P.S. I don't see where to give a storage node either a limit (not reserved[_free]_space, but maximum[_used]_space), or a location.

This is ticket #671, which has been fixed by Mark Berger, but is
blocked on getting into trunk until some other patches that it depends
on get into trunk. Want to help? Track down which patches are blocking
this and do a code-review of them! (Even if someone else has already
done a code-review, more code-reviews is always better!)

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/671# bring back
sizelimit (i.e. max consumed, not min free)