[tahoe-dev] Read only (client/gateway only) Introducer furls?

Garonda Rodian deepside at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 04:27:37 UTC 2013

As
 a newbie question regarding #68 and the Introducers in general, I know
that a share's cap has RW, or RO, or VO.  Do Introducers have the same
capability?  I.e. can I give some more trusted people the normal
Introducer furl that lets them add storage nodes,
and give other less trusted people an Introducer furl that only lets
them use existing storage nodes?

The general point of the "RO" or "client/gateway only" Introducer furl
is to reduce the chances of a "generosity" type attack you've considered
 already - but on a network of O nodes, if an attacker (betrayer, etc.)
gains access to a RW Introducer furl, they
could "generously" donate in excess of (N/k)*O nodes of appropriate
values to the grid, and thus have a not unreasonable chance of
collecting more than N-k shares of any new upload... and then taking all
 their nodes down, leaving less than k shares of those
new uploads available on the grid.