Tahoe for P2P networks

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:48:11 UTC 2014

Greetings!

You. Must. Read!!!
http://www.laser.dist.unige.it/Repository/IPI-1011/FileSystems/TahoeDFS.pdf

What does "simulating a Peer-to-Peer network?" mean?
I have a feeling if you read the above paper it would help you understand Tahoe-LAFS.

I2P AND Tor (as in Tor hidden services) can penetrate network address translation routers.
Tahoe-LAFS works well with both I2P and Tor.

Hey I2P developers... we are on the same team here... and both Tor and I2P are part of
the Tahoe-LAFS anonymity roadmap! Please offer up your corrections and pull requests if
you have time to review these 2 documents.

Soon I hope I'll be finished with the native Tor + I2P integration:
https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-roadmap.rst
https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-configuration.rst

Note that I am applying document driven development here... so that config doc describes features
that are not yet implemented... But this section will tell you how you can use Torsocks and Tor Hidden Services with current and older versions of Tahoe-LAFS:

https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-configuration.rst#torsocks-the-old-way-of-configuring-tahoe-lafs-to-use-tor

Using that configuration you can definitely penetrate NAT devices all day long as you connect to your storage servers via their Tor Hidden Service onion addresses.

By the way the truckee feature branch has got lots of excellent feature additions for Tahoe-LAFS including
multiple introducers and "introducer-less" feature where clients can specify storage server information directly
in their tahoe.cfg file :

https://github.com/leif/tahoe-lafs/tree/truckee

Hopefully we'll get this branch merged upstream soon.

Cheers!

David