Nuts+Bolts 23-Sep-2014

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Sep 23 18:03:10 UTC 2014

("Nuts And Bolts" is one of two weekly Tahoe developer chats. This one
is frequently a bug triage meeting for the upcoming Tahoe-LAFS 1.11
release, or a place to discuss Tahoe-specific technologies like
Accounting, shares-of-happiness, and file encoding. Nuts and Bolts is
held on Google Hangouts, 9am pacific, tuesday mornings. Join us in IRC
to get the hangout URL. There's also a less-focussed wild-technology
"Tesla Coils And Corpses" chat on fridays)

Nuts+Bolts for Tuesday 23-Sep-2014:

* Daira's Strangeloop presentation (on Noether) went well

* 1.11 triage: 18 tickets remaining, down from maybe 25 a few weeks ago

* 8 tickets should be done by end of today:
** #1961 (accessibility), nejucomo has filed PR, warner will review
** #1830 (encoding params): punted to 1.12
** #2193 #2005 #2249 #2247 #2028 (windows deps): daira will file patch
** #1634 (pyfilesystem): za will write patch

* 5 more tickets should be done by end of week:
** #1159 #1539 (less .tac): daira will review
** #2235 #1674 #2027 (windows paths): daira will test patches

* 5 more large ones:
* #1124 #1130 #1382 #1814 (servers-of-happiness). Large scary patch in
  1382 with lots of math behind it. Has been stalled for a long time.
  warner will attempt to understand, maybe rearrange patches into
  smaller pieces.

* #2215 (heartbleed): makes daira cry, we're not sure what to do. OS is
  responsible for providing a safe version of openssl, best we could do
  is check and refuse to use an unsafe version, but checking is
  nontrivial, especially because many OS distributions didn't bump the
  version number when fixing it. I suspect we'll resolve this ticket by
  just making a note in the docs.

We're overloading Daira a bit: she's the only one of us with a windows
box, or understanding of the unicode-on-windows filepath issues. If
anyone else knows windows and can help test her tickets, please jump in!

I'm hoping to get everything resolved and a beta tagged in two weeks,
but #1382 scares me, and I don't know if that's feasible. We'll see.

cheers,