[Tahoe-LAFS] #2383: CLI option to automatically start and stop a node

Lukas Pirl tahoe-dev at lukas-pirl.de
Thu Feb 12 10:31:09 UTC 2015

I just wanted to reply to a ticket but this comment got a 95.19% spam
rating?!

"""
All true. But how can we improve the usability for the "programmatic
ad-hoc use" (cron etc.)?
I think the ad-hoc-gateway-use case is valid (very low-resource or
production systems).

Latency (comment:11) is simply what one would have to accept when the
node is not permanently up. Inferences with interactive CLI use
(comment:12)… well, users would probably start and stop the node
manually anyways for interactive operations because they are not
expecting it to be up. So, the node should not stop automatically when
it wasn't started automatically. But yes, interactive users may
interrupt non-interactive operations then.

Another idea would be an idle timeout to let a gateway shutdown
automatically or a switch for `tahoe stop` that makes the node wait for
all queued operations to complete.
"""

Best,

Lukas