devchat notes 11-Jul-2017

Vasudev Kamath vasudev at copyninja.info
Wed Jul 12 15:03:05 UTC 2017

Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> writes:

> Also, we should figure out who owns zfec these days and make a release
> that fixes the py2-only syntax in setup.py .

Since this topic came in this mail, I thought I should point out at PR
which I raised against zfec ¹. I've used pbr ² to rewrite setup.py and
most of the static part is now in setup.cfg. I've tried mimic exact same
functionality as old setup.py. pbr is actively developed and does not
have any additional dependency and works pretty well with both python2
and python3. Here is some more information on pbr ³.

I would be happy to get some review on the PR and if PR looks ok I can
do the same for pycryptopp.

¹ https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/zfec/pull/5
² https://docs.openstack.org/pbr/latest/
³ https://julien.danjou.info/blog/2017/packaging-python-with-pbr