[tahoe-dev] FreeBSD fixed

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Mon May 19 09:11:32 PDT 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Now, how about ben's question: how to we run a private grid?

I think the recipe is trivial; but then a bit more complex.

The trivial thing is create an introducer and a mess of clients
that use that introducer to coordinate them.  That's it and you
can do that using bin/tahoe's create-client and create-introducer
commands.  It gets much more delicate when you start
thinking it through...

You establish one introducer, and N clients.

The introducer is the risky bit, you really want him to be reliable;
but creating one is easy, there is a command provided by bin/tahoe,
and there are details on how to configure him in the configuration
doc.  I needed to hand edit the introducer URI; I found the one I
got for free unsightly.  You can put a domain name in that; you
probably want that.

There is a planning problem that arises about this point.  How you
manage and authenticate your grid members.  Obviously there are
lots of schemes for doing that.  I haven't a clue which one is the
best alternative.  The skill of your club members is obviously part
of what makes this bit fun.

The 10 or more of your N clients need to be configured to provide
storage.  By default the clients that bin/tahoe creates will offer up
all the disk they can get their hands on.

This is the second planning problem.  What you tell your club
members to do.  There are choices; more or less demanding
on the members.  Getting the OS do set the limit is probably the
best option; say with a private file system or quotas.  There is a
mechanism in the code (see the configuration doc) but it appears
a little adhoc at this point.

Club members are also going to have to have some help and guidance
on how to use the grid once they are hooked up.  The fuse interface
won't cut it yet as it appears to be read only.

I wrote this so the question would have at least some answer somewhere,
but I doubt it's right.  My private grid has 2 clients; and hardly
anything
in it!

  - ben

----
http://enthusiasm.cozy.org/    tel+1-781-354-5387
ps. I'm looking for a full time position.