[tahoe-dev] Question about Hash usage (versus MAC) for consistency check

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Tue Aug 4 18:59:19 PDT 2009

On Tuesday,2009-08-04, at 16:27 , Guillaume Sevestre wrote:
> I wonder why you are not using MAC’s (Message Authentication Codes)
> for the authentication on the data, in plaintext and ciphertext ?
>
> I think your architecture could fit well with MAC computed in the
> Gateway (As it’s, by design, in the confident area)

It is because each file can be individually shared with other users.
If you receive a read-capability to an immutable file from me, you
can use it to retrieve the file contents.  You can also share that
read-capability with a friend, and you will know that if they use it
to retrieve the file contents that they will get the exact same
contents that you got.

A Message Authentication Code is a much more efficient cryptographic
primitive, and it is easier to be sure that a MAC that has long-term
security than that a secure hash function has.  However, it doesn't
have the right semantics of sharing for Tahoe-LAFS's purposes.  A MAC
has a secret key which is necessary for checking the validity of
contents, and also anyone who knows the secret key can generate new
contents that will validate.  Tahoe-LAFS has two kinds of files:
immutable files (as above), and mutable files where some set of users
(possibly just one user) has the ability to write new contents and
another set of users has the ability to read contents.  We can't use
MACs for mutable files, either, because we want to be able to give
some users the ability to read the file contents (i.e. to check the
validity of the file contents) without also giving them the ability
to write new contents (i.e. to generate a new file contents that
would validate).  Therefore, we have to use a digital signature
system for mutable files.

Thanks for asking!  There are some other details in this paper:

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn, Brian Warner "Tahoe – The Least-Authority
Filesystem" http://allmydata.org/~zooko/lafs.pdf