[tahoe-dev] No module named python....

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu Aug 6 17:53:41 PDT 2009

Brian Warner wrote:

> I'll try to find a local hardy box to see if it's behaving in the same
> way. They might have fixed the problem in an update.

Well, that's interesting. I see the problem file in
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/twisted/__init__.py (the one that's
not supposed to be there), even on my works-perfectly hardy box:

 $ python -c 'import twisted.python; print twisted'
 <module 'twisted' from
'/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/__init__.pyc'>
 $ python -c 'import nevow; print nevow'
 <module 'nevow' from
'/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/nevow/__init__.pyc'>
 $ ls /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/twisted/
 __init__.py  __init__.pyc  plugins

It appears that /usr/lib comes before /var/lib on my sys.path, so python
doesn't notice the problematic
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/twisted/__init__.py file.

Could sys.path be different on your box? Or maybe Twisted isn't
installed on the system, so the /var/lib entry shows up earlier and
causes the problem?

On a hardy/i386 box, you should just be able to use apt-get and install
the debs that are hosted on allmydata.org . On any sort of debian/ubuntu
box, you should be able to install most of the dependencies as .debs,
which will probably work better.

cheers,