[tahoe-dev] running a stats gatherer

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Dec 22 22:41:58 PST 2009

Jody Harris wrote:
> That's very helpful. Thank you!

Sure thing!

> Can I run the stats gatherer on a machine running one or more tahoe
> nodes? Is there a way to reconfigure the port (:3456) to avoid
> a collision with an existing node? (I know that I can reassign the other
> nodes local port, but I wanted to ask this question here.)

Yeah. The stats gatherer will listen on a random unassigned port the
first time it is started (mine just picked 50550, for example), and it
will keep using that port for future runs. So it shouldn't conflict with
any regular node running on that host.

But if you want to make it use a specific port, just write the desired
portnumber into a file named 'portnum' (i.e. $BASEDIR/portnum). That
file actually contains a "strports specification", described slightly in
docs/configuration.txt, which means you can make it listen on a specific
interface if you really wanted to. The next time the gatherer is started
(i.e. with "tahoe restart BASEDIR"), it will start listening on the new
port number, and will update stats-gatherer.furl .

I'll add these notes to docs/stats.txt in the morning.

cheers,