[tahoe-dev] Missing timeouts?

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Tue Dec 29 08:17:11 PST 2009

Hi list,

Before leaving for a holiday vacation last week, I started a very long
tahoe backup operation (>10GB) with some very large files.  And while away,
a second tahoe backup operation was started from a cron.  This second job
should have been pretty short as it was just an incremental backup of an
area that had already been backed up before.

Alas, both of these backups hung.  It looks like we're missing a timeout
somewhere, as it's been several days since anything's happened, and this is
what my node's status page says for Active Operations:

Type  	Storage Index  	Helper?  	Total Size  	Progress  	Status
mapupdate MODE_WRITE 	twfhdmkbsoidlnf3zijrcut7jm 	No 	-NA- 	0.0% 	Sending
6 initial queries
publish 	dt5jrwb3ck2yt3tp7etuw6aply 	No 	0B 	90.0% 	Sending Shares: 9
placed out of 10, 1 messages outstanding

And it's stuck here, never changing.  (In my process list I see two tahoe
backup processes.)

What can I do at this point?  Do I need to kill and restart?  That would
be no big deal for the incremental backup, but I worry that restarting the
backup of large files would mean uselessly re-uploading several gigabytes
of data that are already on the grid.

--
Kyle Markley