[tahoe-dev] Tahoe performance

Andrej Falout andrej at falout.org
Sat Feb 7 16:55:06 PST 2009

Hi François,

Well, uploading 50 GB at full speed will take at best 3 days with an
> uplink of 1.6 Mbps (0.2 MBps).

Maybe so, but I was wondering what others think about the usability impact,
if this is true for connection "faster then 98% of all Internet
connections"?

I don't agree on this point. By default, duplicity stores data in 5 MB
> chunks (.volX.difftar.gz) and uses indexes (.manifest) to retrieve only
> chunks required to restore the files you specified.

Ah - did not know that -  Thanks!

>  - backup running 5 days will most likely get interrupted at some
> > point and cannot be resumed
>
> 5 days is not that far from the theoretical maximum in your case of 3
> days I just mentionned.

True, but it wont help me any if I get interrupted after 2 or 10 days - I'll
still have to start from the beginning, AFAIK?

Is there a Tahoe backup method that can be resumed?

> >  - Makes the whole Web Browser interface to virtual drive virtually
> > useless, and the whole "virtual drive" concept pointless.
>

> Yes ! This is why the great backup which just implemented by Brian
> Warner is so awesome, thanks Brian !

Where can I find information about how that method works?

Seems to me that this project really needs a Wiki...

--
Andrej Falout