[tahoe-dev] Tahoe performance

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Mon Feb 9 18:32:44 PST 2009

> Maybe so, but I was wondering what others think about the usability impact,
> if this is true for connection "faster then 98% of all Internet
> connections"?

Yeah, it's disappointing. Most consumer internet connections are heavily
asymmetric, usually 8-to-1 or 10-to-1. It's just economics.. the DSL and
cable modem companies believe that their customers are mostly interested in
downloading things instead of uploading things. It is reinforced by technical
issues (the choice of duplexer guard band frequency) which means the same
ratio is pretty much enforced on all users of the same physical plant, which
makes it harder to offer better plans to the customers who *do* care about
upload speed.

My feeling is that "slow and steady wins the race". Sure, it may take 5 days
to back up your whole laptop, but leave it running in the background while
you're doing something else, and eventually it'll finish. Think about how
long it took to fill that 50GB of data and measure the backup/transfer time
as a fraction of that.

> > Yes ! This is why the great backup which just implemented by Brian
> > Warner is so awesome, thanks Brian !
>

> Where can I find information about how that method works?

The "tahoe backup" command was just added to trunk last week. Here are some
pointers:

 http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/598 is the ticket which defines the
 goals of the command and contains notes on its implementation.

 The docs/frontends/CLI.txt file (in the source tree) contains a summary and
 explanation of the command.

 The NEWS file (in the source tree) contains an announcement of the new
 command.

That's all we have so far. If CLI.txt doesn't explain the new command well
enough, I'd be happy to accept a patch to improve it.

cheers,