[tahoe-dev] seeking volunteer for an hour's labor Re: [tahoe-lafs] #773: run through installation on Windows

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun Jul 26 21:27:31 PDT 2009

On Sunday 26 July 2009 08:17:08 pm Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> On Sunday,2009-07-26, at 17:01 , Shawn Willden wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 July 2009 03:46:53 pm Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> >> Perhaps you should get a version of pyOpenSSL from after the merge
> >> of the "working-windows-build" branch.
> >
> > How would I get the tahoe build process to use that version?
>
> The easiest way is to install that version of pyOpenSSL into your
> system (i.e. "cd pyOpenSSL && python ./setup.py install").

This option doesn't work.  Even with pyOpenSSL installed on my system, the
Tahoe setup insists on trying to build it again.  This is after installing it
from an MSI package.  I have not been able to build it from source because I
can't figure out how to tell it how to find the OpenSSL header files.  I have
them installed in the default place (C:\OpenSSL\include), but it doesn't find
them there, and the setup.py build command doesn't seem to allow any
parameters to specify include paths, etc.

> A tidier
> way is to build a .egg ("cd pyOpenSSL && python ./setup.py
> bdist_egg") and copy the resulting .egg file or .egg directory into a
> subdirectory of the tahoe source dir that you create and name "tahoe-
> deps".  (The tahoe setup.cfg specifies that "tahoe-deps" is one of
> the locations that the build system should look to find dependencies).

When I can successfully build pyOpenSSL, I'll try that.

BTW... "an hour's labor"... Ha!  I'm up to about 12 hours so far and haven't
managed a single successful Tahoe build and install with any of a large
variety of permutations.  Granted, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to both
Windows and Python setuptools stuff, and especially both together, but this
is far from simple.

	Shawn.