[tahoe-dev] 'Client' caching?

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Nov 26 23:19:53 PST 2009

Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
> I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask questions.

It is.

> I'm experimenting with a 10 node Tahoe cluster.  So far, I'm very happy
> with the storage resiliency.  However, I'm looking for ways to boost
> performance a bit.  My intended use is to store frequently accessed
> static content in Tahoe, and use it a bit like a small CDN.  With this
> in mind, some caching mechanism would seem to be the best approach,
> since it appears that the 'client' portion of tahoe does not maintain
> cached files in memory for any period of time.

The ticket about caching of encrypted shares on the gateway (acting as
a storage server) is <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/707>.

Below you're talking about caching in the web interface, though.
I've just added a new ticket for that:
<http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/844>

Caching in the command-line client would be something else again.

> My first instinct was to turn to Squid.  However, I quickly discovered
> that because my JPG was being decrypted every time I accessed it, Squid
> was concluding that it had been changed, and dumping it from the cache.

It's not because the JPG was decrypted; just that Squid (or any caching
proxy) has no way to determine that the file is the same from the HTTP
headers.