[tahoe-dev] GSoC students Re: Test repo setup

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 09:34:03 PDT 2010

Folks:

The Google Summer of Code is now in the "Community Bonding Period".
Students are supposed to be getting to know their mentors and the
community and learning how to cooperate with the community.

(I wrote:)
> Go ahead.

Actually if you want to experiment on the Tahoe-LAFS repository itself
then don't use patch-tag.com (yet), just do:

darcs get --lazy http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/trunk tahoe-lafs

And you'll have a darcs repository named "tahoe-lafs" in your current
working directory.

>> I'd like to play with code and make things up. Please let me know
>> about general guidelines and  your suggestions ?

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but here are some random suggestions:

1. Run the tests of Tahoe-LAFS, as mentioned on:
http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe-lafs/trunk/docs/quickstart.html

2. Print out a copy of our coding standards
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/CodingStandards and tape it
to your wall.

3. Browse the information available from our Dev page:
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Dev , such as:

 a. Related projects: http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/RelatedProjects

 b. How to submit patches: http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Patches

 c. How to review patches:
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/PatchReviewProcess

Note: GSoC students would be welcome to review patches! That would be
a great way to get started bonding with the community and
understanding the source code.

4. Set up a Tahoe-LAFS grid to experiment with. Maybe we can create a
"GSoC grid" which we will all use to test and share our GSoC
works-in-progress.

5. Read this mailing list and write letters to it chatting about
things that you are interested in.

6. GSoC students, like everyone, are more than welcome to help us
finish up the v1.7 release. We could use the help! See the following
URLs for ideas about how you can help:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/milestone/1.7.0
http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-April/004256.html