[tahoe-dev] about Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 and Tahoe-LAFS v1.8.0

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jul 10 18:51:43 UTC 2010

Folks:

We're making some progress on Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/roadmap

It is due to be released in seven days on Saturday, the 17th. If there
aren't enough improvements committed to trunk by then to justify
announcing it to the world then instead I will just decree that we
roll everything into what will eventually become v1.8.0.

I called for Platform Masters [1] and FreeStorm answered the call to
support Windows. Hopefully this means Windows support will be improved
in v1.7.1 release.

v1.8.0 is due  August 29. This is two weeks after the GSoC students
are finished with their projects (see the GSoC timeline [2]). v1.8.0
will have at least Brian's New Downloader and the GSoC projects.

Okay, that's it! If you have some time today and tomorrow to work on
Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 issues it would be greatly appreciated! Here is a
random assortment of the tickets that are currently open in the
"v1.7.1" Milestone, to give you an idea of the sorts of things we want
to fix. :-)

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/443# set ETag on
immutable directories, short-circuit on cache hit
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/943# "tahoe mv" deleted my files?
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1024# introductory docs
are confusing and off-putting
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1055# Crashed WUI due to
abbreviate_time in common.py
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1081# FTP upload silently
fails when nodes < happiness
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1082# default
servers-of-happiness=7 prevents single-server use case from working
"out of the box"
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1091# give clearer names
to the "create a directory" buttons
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1099# stdout might not
have an 'encoding' attribute (test needed)
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1115# post-repair says 10
hosts have good shares but there are only 4 hosts

See The Roadmap for the full set.

Also I'll write a separate letter after this one about Windows support.

[1] http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-June/004567.html
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/timeline