[tahoe-dev] Windows support for v1.7.1

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jul 10 19:12:54 UTC 2010

Here are things we need to do right away if Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 is going
to have Windows support improved enough to justify its existence next
Saturday.

These are things that FreeStorm needs to take the lead on since he
volunteered to be Windows Platform Master for v1.7.1. :-)

1. Figure out why some of the Windows buildslaves are red:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot/waterfall?builder=FreeStorm+WinXP-x86+py2.6&builder=Soultcer+Win7-64+py2.6&builder=Dcoder+Win7-64+py2.6

I think the answer is at least partially due to issue #1074:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1074# get rid of tahoe.exe launcher

2. Read the following recent letters to the tahoe-dev list about
Windows issues. For each letter, decide if we need to have one or more
tickets created or updated to reflect the contents of the latter.
Write back to the list, thanking the author for their report, if
someone has not already done so.

http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-July/004621.html
http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-June/004549.html
http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-May/004325.html
http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-May/004370.html
http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-May/004322.html

3. Make sure that we have binary packages for Python 2.6 of all of our
binary dependencies for win32 and win64:

 a. pycryptopp, which is supposed to be automatically built and
uploaded by http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot-pycryptopp/
 b. zfec, which is supposed to be automatically build and uploaded by
http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot-zfec/
 c. pyOpenSSL, which is maintained by Jean-Paul Calderone and is
available from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOpenSSL
 d. PyCrypto, which is maintained by Dwayne Litzenberger and not
available in binary form as far as I know:
http://www.dlitz.net/software/pycrypto/

(My guess is that we will not get all of these binary packages
available for win64 by next Saturday and we will have to leave win64
as a not-completely-support platform for the v1.7.1 release. We'd
probably be doing good if we even managed to get them all available
for win32 by then.)

4. Look at this wonderful menu of delicious tickets that are crying
out to be munched on by hungry hackers:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/565# unicode arguments on
the command-line
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/953# dependency on
pycrypto needs to be tested and supported
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1031# support Win64
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1093# win32 build hell

Here is the list of all tickets marked with "windows" and "1.7.1":

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=!closed&keywords=~windows&order=priority&milestone=1.7.1

Thanks, all helpers and especially FreeStorm for volunteering!