[tahoe-dev] Fwd: LAFS performance

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jul 16 18:31:02 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: LAFS performance
To: Nikita Borisov <nikita at illinois.edu>

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Nikita Borisov <nikita at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Yes, that's actually what I was looking for.

Great!

One thing that would help everyone out is if you or a student of yours
would post to the tahoe-dev mailing list introducing yourself. Things
that help:

1. Just knowing that someone is looking at Tahoe-LAFS and thinking
about using it for purpose X.
2. Finding out why they didn't go ahead and use it if they didn't.
3. Finding out that they are going ahead and trying to use it if they are.

In fact, now that I think about it I probably should have asked to
move this conversation to the public mailing list. Hm. Would you mind
if I forwarded the conversation so far?

>   BTW, is there any way in Tahoe
> to support append capabilities?  For our application, it would be useful to
> have people be able to add comments, but not erase ones posted by others.

Planned, but no timeline:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/795
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/796

For your particular use case it might work to give each user a
writecap to a separate document and then combine or transclude their
documents into a combined view.