[tahoe-dev] How to ignore own node?

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Thu Jun 24 14:10:17 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:14 AM, slush <slush at centrum.cz> wrote:

> Partially yes, because happiness give me a guarantee to recover my
> files. But I still think blocking own node would be a nice feature,
> because uploading file to the same node is useless in most cases.

I thought the same thing for a while, but changed my mind.

Keep in mind that backups serve to help recovery from two different kinds of
situations:  disasters and errors.

If all you're thinking about is disasters, then you're right that putting
shares on the local machine is useless, because full copied of the data are
on the local machine.  But if you consider errors, cases where you
erroneously remove files that you need, then having local shares both
improves recovery performance and also survivability, in case some of the
remote servers are off-line or gone.

All in all, I decided that the benefits of having local shares outweigh the
small cost in disk space.  You may not come to the same conclusion, but it's
worth thinking about.

--
Shawn