[tahoe-dev] wiki gardening needed Re: darcs patch: modified quickstart.html to note dependency on python-...

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Sep 23 19:15:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Is 0.5.19 acceptable?  That's what is in pkgsrc, and probably what was
> current when I added packages over the summer.  I am running 1.8.0c4
> with py-cryptopp 0.5.19 and it seems ok.

pycryptopp contains a copy of some source code from the Crypto++
project which source code it uses by default. It offers an optional
build-time option to not use that source code and instead link against
an extant libcryptopp.so library.

pycryptopp-0.5.19 had some bugs in the included copy of the Crypto++
source code, which bugs were also present in Crypto++ v5.6.0 and are
fixed in Crypto++ v5.6.1.

Here are the patches:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pycryptopp/changeset/20100919041310-93fa1-d7f528bbba69d9ca14112b5f44ee1765ef34fefc/trunk

http://cryptopp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cryptopp?view=revision&revision=471

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pycryptopp/changeset/20100919041746-93fa1-fdb77ae7c52be25dd3f3578a7958dcf66e6d6fcb/trunk

http://cryptopp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cryptopp?view=revision&revision=480

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pycryptopp/changeset/20100919041827-93fa1-e9107606cdd3e1328230655fd25ebcaf3fcf2e99/trunk

http://cryptopp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cryptopp?view=revision&revision=492

If the pkgsrc build of pycryptopp v0.5.19 is rebuilt against Crypto++
v5.6.1 instead of against Crypto++ v5.6.0 then that will also fix
these issues. However, Tahoe-LAFS is currently marked as requiring
pycryptopp >= v0.5.20, see:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/_auto_deps.py?rev=4739

Therefore Tahoe-LAFS will refuse to build or will attempt to download
a new version of pycryptopp at build time if the version of pycryptopp
that it finds is v0.5.19.

So I think it would be best if you could update the pkgsrc build of
pycryptopp to the latest release (pycryptopp v0.5.25). Would that
work?