[tahoe-dev] Change the parameters(K-N) when using

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Feb 28 11:38:52 PST 2011

I agree. Filed as <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1373>.

>   repair should have an option to consider an object unhealthy if the
>   encoding either doesn't match, or is weaker than (or ?) the current
>   config.  This is harder than regular repair because the URI will
>   change so it really needs to be "when deep repairing a directory,
>   objects in the directory might need recoding" - and then it gets
>   scary.

I think it would be confusing to refer to this deep-rebalancing operation
as a variant of repair. Remember that there may be links from elsewhere
into the directory tree being repaired. So, we need to repair the
existing objects (files or directories) without moving them, even if we
*also* upload new objects with the new encoding parameters.

Note that if we upload a new *mutable* object and relink a parent directory
entry to it, that can't be a semantically transparent operation (because
any link from elsewhere will no longer be aliased to the same object).