[tahoe-dev] call for volunteers for volunteergrid2

Pandelis Theodosiou ypercube at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:33:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com>wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I've heard from a few different people that they want a Tahoe-LAFS
> grid to contribute a server to and receive storage service in return.
> There is one such grid in operation, called "volunteergrid", but it is
> not accepting new members at this time. Therefore, I'm creating a
> mailing list named "volunteergrid2-l" to let such people
> self-organize. I'm going to be the mailing list administrator, but
> otherwise I don't intend to spend a lot of time organizing.
>
> Here is a proposed "constitution" for volunteergrid2.

This is great, but I can't currently have a server that is constanly
connected to the net.
So, count me in for volunteergrid3.

> -------
> Welcome to volunteergrid2-l!
>
> Rules (enforced by community):
> 1. We have at most 20 members.
> 2. Respect one another's privacy and security. (Normally Tahoe-LAFS
> makes it impossible to do otherwise, but accidents can happen, and
> when they do, mutual respect for one another's privacy is the best
> defense.)
> 3. Contribute more storage space than you use (remember that expansion
> uses up more disk space by a factor of N/K, and that old version of
> files linger for about a month before they are garbage-collected).
> 4. Offer good quality, durable, highly-available service -- commit to
> keeping your server(s) running year after year. If a server dies, try
> to rescue the data off of its hard drive. Use careful system
> administration. Try to keep your servers up and reachable all the
> time. Let your fellow volunteers know if there is a failure or
> interruption of service.

One the other hand, (and since point 5 is missing :), why should the lack of
a reliable rever stop me - or anyone else?

Isn't Lahoe designed for this kind of situations too?

What I'm proposing is (another one), more experimental grid, where servers
can be unreliable, like notebooks, your old pc you boot once in a week, etc?

I have no idea what configuration it would need, but if there are other
volunteers, I'm in for that!

Pandelis

PS. Oh, and since this is my first post here, congrats for the nice tool you
made.

 <http://int.ask.com/web?siteid=10000861&webqsrc=999&l=dis&q=volunteergrid2>