[tahoe-dev] call for volunteers for volunteergrid2

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jan 12 06:05:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Pandelis Theodosiou <ypercube at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is great, but I can't currently have a server that is constanly connected to the net.
> So, count me in for volunteergrid3.

:-)

> One the other hand, (and since point 5 is missing :), why should the lack of a reliable rever stop me - or anyone else?
>
> Isn't Lahoe designed for this kind of situations too?

It is certainly good at maintaining confidentiality and integrity even
in this situation, because all of the data is encrypted and
integrity-checked. It is harder to maintain availability, because even
if the data *is* erasure-coded so that, say K=3 servers are required
out of N=10 servers total, you might still have too many of the
servers offline at once.

Some of the problems may be work-aroundable by using it in a different
way. I don't know but I'd love to find out.

> What I'm proposing is (another one), more experimental grid, where servers can be unreliable, like notebooks, your old pc you boot once in a week, etc?
>
> I have no idea what configuration it would need, but if there are other volunteers, I'm in for that!

Go for it!

I would be happy to learn the results of this experiment. People may
need to use higher expansion factors (larger N and/or smaller K), or
just to get used to their files being unavailable some of the time,
depending on the pattern of how many of their fellows's laptops are
open or closed. :-)

> PS. Oh, and since this is my first post here, congrats for the nice tool you made.

Thank you! :-)