[tahoe-dev] what's the plan for "tahoe.exe"?

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu Jan 27 12:01:37 UTC 2011

On 1/27/11 11:10 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

> Therefore there are now two good ways for Windows users to run
> Tahoe-LAFS.

Just so that I'm clear, are those two good ways the following?:

 1: (quickstart): download+unpack .zip, 'python setup.py build',
    ./bin/tahoe
 2: download .exe, ./tahoe.exe

> Release Manager Brian: shall we host a copy of tahoe.exe for
> windows-x86 and another for windows-x86_64 and mention it in the
> release announcement? Shall we change quickstart.html to point to it?

Yes, let's host a copy, in directories with "1.8.2" and "x86"/"x86_64"
in their names (so that the downloaded file is always named just
"tahoe.exe"). Let's mention it in the release announcement.

But let's leave quickstart.html alone for this release. I agree that
this is too new, and that we aren't yet prepared to support the users
it's likely to attract. So let's call it "experimental" and get a couple
of months of testing and experience with it before diluting the
"setup.py build" message of quickstart.html . If that looks good, we can
promote it more heavily in 1.9 .

(FWIW, a single binary is probably the easiest-to-use entry point for
Tahoe *users*, as opposed to potential developers, so once we're looking
to increase our user-only -base, bbfreeze/etc for all platforms, even
unix, is an important path to pursue)

cheers,