[tahoe-dev] what's the plan for "tahoe.exe"?

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Jan 27 21:00:54 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-27 20:01, Brian Warner wrote:
> On 1/27/11 11:10 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>
>> Therefore there are now two good ways for Windows users to run
>> Tahoe-LAFS.

Incidentally, I'd consider building from a darcs checkout also to be
a good way for Windows users (yes, end-users) to run Tahoe-LAFS.
The prebuilt Windows distribution of darcs is at
<http://wiki.darcs.net/Binaries>, and it's no trouble to install.
Then you just replace the download + extraction of
allmydata-tahoe-<version>.zip with

  darcs get --lazy http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/trunk tahoe-lafs

Note that you can contribute patches without setting up darcs to use
ssh, which is more tricky. You can also keep up with trunk this way
using 'darcs pull'. We try to keep trunk stable; it may sometimes
fail to build, but when it does build, IMHO you can use it without
being any more likely to lose data than you would with a release.

> Just so that I'm clear, are those two good ways the following?:
>
>  1: (quickstart): download+unpack .zip, 'python setup.py build',
>     ./bin/tahoe
>  2: download .exe, ./tahoe.exe

2: download+unpack .zip of files produced by bb-freeze, run tahoe.exe.