[tahoe-dev] 1.9.0 beta1 is tagged!

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Oct 14 10:38:05 PDT 2011

  Correct. The dependency is actually going to be driven by Twisted. Tahoe
  (both current 1.8.3 and upcoming 1.9.0) is happy with both current
  Foolscap-0.6.1 and upcoming Foolscap-0.6.2 . Both current Foolscap-0.6.1
  and upcoming Foolscap-0.6.2 are happy with current Twisted-11.0.0 . But
  current Foolscap-0.6.1 is not compatible with Twisted trunk, which means
  that as soon as they make their next release, 0.6.1 won't be compatible
  with that. So Foolscap-0.6.2 will be a pre-emptive compatibility strike.

OK, that makes sense.

  I'm not sure how Tahoe is most likely to express this, or if it's even
  possible to do something on the Tahoe side to help users get compatible
  versions of the dependencies. The worry is that someone will either a)
  have a working installation, update Twisted (but not Foolscap), and then
  things will break, or b) will have Foolscap-0.6.1 already installed,
  install Tahoe from scratch, wind up with a later Twisted version, and
  things will break.

I have foolscap expressing a dependency on twisted, so it would seem
this is not really a tahoe problem.

  The last two are a clear mistake: those libraries don't need interpreter
  shbang lines. The other four are occasionally run as developer testing
  tools: check_memory.py and check_speed.py are run by our buildbot on
  each commit, check_grid.py was run to make sure the old AllMyData
  production grid was still working, and check_load.py is a
  manually-triggered traffic-generator for load testing.

ok, that makes sense

  I think we can just remove the shbang lines from them.. to get the Tahoe
  dependencies right, they're all run from our Makefile with a funky "@"
  invocation that winds up running "python .../check_speed.py", so the
  interpreter line isn't really necessary.

Sounds good.  It should probably be using what autoconf would call
@PYTHON@; on pkgsrc there is no 'python', because it would end up
referring to something possibly different than you found at configure
time.  But bin/tahoe gets this right, so it seems that setuptools deals
with that.