[tahoe-dev] 1.9.0 beta1 is tagged!

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Fri Oct 14 11:40:01 PDT 2011

On 10/14/11 10:57 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> There is custom magic in setup.py that creates bin/tahoe using a
> shebang for the interpreter that ran setup.py;

Right, bin/tahoe is the only entry point, so it's the only script that
needs this treatment.

> but the Makefile just does this:
>
> PYTHON=python
>
> This might need to be patched to use whatever is the correct way for a
> pkgsrc package to refer to the right python interpreter in a Makefile.

Fortunately, the Makefile doesn't get installed :-). That's just for
developers, and packagers. Anyone using the Makefile on a system where
"python" is not the right python just needs to remember to set PYTHON to
their python.

One could argue that the entire test/ directory should be omitted too,
but there's a second argument that says it's nice for end-users to be
able to run the test suite themselves. I'd leave that up to the
packagers. (I notice that Twisted on Ubuntu includes the test suite,
maybe because that's easier than stripping it out).

cheers,