[tahoe-dev] TWN16

Patrick R McDonald marlowe at antagonism.org
Tue Oct 25 22:50:16 UTC 2011

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News, issue number 16, October 25, 2011

Welcome to the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News (TWN).  Tahoe-LAFS_ is a secure,
distributed storage system. `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_.
If you would like to view the "new and improved" TWN, complete with pictures;
please take a `look`_.

.. _Tahoe-LAFS: http://tahoe-lafs.org
.. _View TWN on the web: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TahoeLAFSWeeklyNews
.. _look: http://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN16.html

Announcements and News
======================

Tahoe-LAFS Summit
- -----------------

The second Tahoe-LAFS Summit is less than two weeks away.  `Mozilla`_
|mozilla| will host the second `Tahoe-LAFS Summit`_.  Mozilla will host the
Summit from its new San Francisco office (2 Harrison Street).  Thanks for the
hospitality.

In addition, we have a `request`_ to make remote participation possible.  At
the last Summit, Nathan Wilcox |nathan| and Drew Perttula |drew| made a live
audio-video stream possible.  We are not sure if they will be able to make
this one, so we would appreciate volunteers to assist with the feed.

.. _`Mozilla`: http://www.mozilla.com
.. _`Tahoe-LAFS Summit`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Summit
.. _`request`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-September/006688.html
.. |mozilla| image:: Mozilla_logo-35x35.svg
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: Mozilla
   :target: http://www.mozilla.com
.. |nathan| image:: nwilcox.jpg
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: Nathan Wilcox
.. |drew| image:: drew.png
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: Drew Perttula
   :target: http://bigasterisk.com

New tahoe-lafs.org
- ------------------

In response, to the outages mentioned in `TWN 14`_, our crack team of secret
ninjas are working hard to bring you a new and improved tahoe-lafs.org.  The
new site will have a more reliable network connection and a snappier Trac
instance.

.. _`TWN 14`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN14.html

Commercial Supporter of the Week
fantastic.  Please post any feedback, you have to ticket `1185`_ as
well. Also if you are interested in updating the web site to the new logo and
printing the tshirts, please let Zooko know.

.. _`TWN 15`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN15.html
.. _`feedback on the Tahoe-LAFS logo`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-October/006712.html
.. _`1185`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1185

JonDonym Announce Tahoe-LAFS Grid
- ---------------------------------

`JonDonym`_ `announced`_ its own Tahoe-LAFS grid for its premium customers.
- From its blog,

  "JonDonym is offering its premium costumers a highly anonymous file sharing
  service. The JonDonym Storage uses the software Tahoe-LAFS. Several verified
  mix operators and the JonDos GmbH provide the nodes of the storage grid.
  Uploads are distributed over randomly chosen nodes and stored encrypted so
  that no node operator can reconstruct the content of the files. The anonymity
  of uploaders and downloaders is guaranteed by JonDonym's premium services.

  Beta-testers have explicitly confirmed the system's suitaility for
  whistleblowing purposes. Whistleblowers may provide files anonymously and can
  send the download links via anonymous e-mails or can post them in forums or
  blogs afterwards. Help for using e-mail anonymously can be found in our
  online help or in the wiki.

  The service is not designed as a backup service. The uploads are not saved
  permanently. Rather, they are deleted automatically after 4 weeks. We reserve
  the right to extend the storage period depending on the capacity used."
  [`1`_]

.. _`JonDonym`: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net
.. _`announced`:
   http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-October/006747.html
.. _`1`:
   https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/blog/index.php?/archives/314-New-File-Sharing-Service-for-JonDonym-Premium.html

Patch Needing Review of the Week
================================

There are three (3) tickets still needing review for 1.9:

* 393_: MDMF
* 1265_: New Visualizer is insufficiently labelled/documented (plus layout
  problem)
* 1398_: make docs/performance.rst more precise and accurate

Let's see if we can't get these reviewed and 1.9 out the door.

.. _393: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/393
.. _1265: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1265
.. _1398: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1398

- ----

*The Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News is published once a week by The Tahoe-LAFS*
*Software Foundation, President and Treasurer: Peter Secor* |peter|
*. Scribes: Patrick "marlowe" McDonald* |marlowe| *, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn*
*, Editor: Zooko.* `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_
*. Send your news stories to* `marlowe at antagonism.org`_ *— submission
deadline: Friday night.*

.. _marlowe at antagonism.org: mailto:marlowe at antagonism.org
.. |zooko| image:: zooko.png
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: zooko
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |brian| image:: warner.png
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: brian
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |peter| image:: psecor.jpg
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: peter
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |marlowe| image:: marlowe-x75-bw.jpg
   :height: 35
   :width: 35
   :alt: marlowe
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs

- --
| Patrick R. McDonald                       GPG Key: A2D1E972  |
| https://www.antagonism.org/         <marlowe at antagonism.org> |
|                               <mcdonald.patrick.r at gmail.com> |
|                         <patrick at opensecurityfoundation.org> |
| Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium           |