[tahoe-dev] Summit coming up.. two weeks away!

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Oct 25 23:26:29 UTC 2011

Some summit notes:

* I've got conference room space reserved at the Mozilla SF office (2
  Harrison, at Spear St.) for 8-5pm each day, tuesday 8-Nov through
  friday 11-Nov. We have to jump around a bit because of some
  pre-existing meetings, but most of the rooms can accomodate 6-8 people
  and have big monitors for projecting stuff. There's also a big
  common-area/lounge, lots of sodas/snacks, and a fabulous outside
  7th-floor deck where we can design protocols while watching the
  sailboats go around Treasure Island.

* In the evenings we can either hang around the Mozilla office (access
  gets harder, I probably have to sign folks in/out of the building
  after 5pm), or go hit Noisebridge, or dinner, etc. Wednesdays are
  movie night.

* I have a few potential tools available for remote participation:

  * Vidyo: we're using Vidyo for internal teleconferencing, and it works
    pretty well. Most of the rooms we're using have good cameras and
    microphones installed. However the non-employee options are limited:
    there's a web-based (Flash) view-only feature, so pretty much
    anybody can see+hear us. And it'll record the same stream for later
    download (some .mov/.avi -type file, I forget what format).

  * BigBlueButton: this is a distance-learning tool that we're
    experimenting with (we have a couple of licenses). It uses a
    web-based (Flash) client, does one-presenter-at-a-time
    video/screen/PDF-presentation transmission, and multi-party
    audio/text chat. The conference room cameras don't know about it, so
    we'd have to feed it with laptop cameras.

  * phone bridge: we have some POTS conference-call stuff too: if we
    aren't using Vidyo, I think we can set up a 1-800 number for folks
    to dial in with.

  * we've also used Mumble (multi-party voice-only chat), and Skype in
    the past, with varying (sometimes negative) levels of success.

* My Time: it depends upon who's around and when, and what else comes up
  that week, but I'll probably spend one or two full days doing Tahoe
  stuff, and the other days mostly doing work work and just popping in
  to check up on everyone. Once 5pm rolls around, I'll be all-Tahoe
  all-the-time.

* Agenda: let's use the wiki for this, but a handful of things I'd like
  accomplish are:

  * explain how my #466 signed-introducer code[1] works, commit to a
    public-key signature scheme (I'm lobbying for Ed25519), land the
    branch
  * decide upon a safe "web control panel" scheme
  * explain how my #666 Accounting code[2] works, land the branch
  * discuss how accounting, #467 static-server-selection, and
    Invitations should interact, so I know what to build going forward
  * discuss Performance Improvements, HTTP-only Storage Protocols, New
    Encoding Formats (Rainhill!)

Two weeks to go!

cheers,
 -Brian