[tahoe-dev] New User - Questions

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:48:46 PDT 2011

On 26.09.2011 05:01, Dudumomo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Tahoe is a great tool and our self-hosting distribution project (
> www.beedbox.org/en) is trying to get a deeper view on this helpful tool.
>
> However, I do have several questions to better understand the project.
>
> Sorry if it has already been deeply discussed before.
>
> 1) I understand how important is the Rootcap and if I loose it, I will not
> be able to retrieve back my data. But in such a case, my data into the
> network will become useless. Does Tahoe has a kind of deadline if I don't
> use it for XX months, the files are deleted?
> Because I'm afraid that the network could be full of unclaimed/lost storage.

On every storage node you can set the "expiry" time (called "pruning" in
the config file.
It is adviseable to run a refresh "deep-check --repair --add-lease" in
regular intervals. This checks, if there is still enough redundancy on
your shares and refreshes them so the do not expire.

I leave the rest of the questions to others to answer

best

Marco