[tahoe-dev] Recommendations for minimal RAM usage ?

Johannes Nix Johannes.Nix at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 23:37:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

just to acknowledge Zooko's comment, it's clear to me that there
are multiple more important topics than adjusting Tahoe-LAFS
to minimal RAM.

Maybe I should take the way of least resistance and try to make an
upgrade to some more modern, powerful and fatter hardware.... such as
the Rasperry Pi *g*. The Rasperry is going to ship with 256 MB RAM but
its CPU is said to be relatively slow. I also tried (so far
unsuccessfully) to install Tahoe on a Nokia N900 Phone which has a
OMAP3 SoC with ARM Cortex A8 CPU and, for purposes of cryptography much
more interesting, an integrated TMS320C64x DSP. This platform is
certainly more powerful than my NAS, so I think it's completely
realistic to run a Tahoe-LAFS client on a N900 or comparable open
platforms.

I would love to help a bit, it's interesting enough for me. I'll try to
dig a little into the code at least. I think if I can do
something, it would be rather highly focused changes in some
hot spots than general overhauls.

OTOH I currently also have to address some job-related issues...
I would love to get paid for work at that level, heck.

What Brian does around Ed25519 looks great.... What are the main speed
bottlenecks  in Tahoe-LAFS now? Could it be grid latencies / network
bandwidth for fast systems and encoding for slow processors?
And would a parallelized variant of the encoding make sense for a
typical multicore consumer laptop?

Regards,

- Johannes