[tahoe-dev] how to make a study about this file system?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon May 14 03:09:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM, han zheng <z.han0903 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As the subject said, I want to learn the tahoe's source code, but I am a novice and do not know how to get a start, could you give me some advises to study the souce code?

Have you already read the developer documents?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Dev#DeveloperDocs

A good starting place in the docs is architecture.rst:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/architecture.rst

After that, there is not yet a "roadmap to the source code", but there
is a ticket where we have written down some ideas about what such a
thing would contain:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1374

Here's an idea:

To dive into the source code start at the server side. The Tahoe-LAFS
storage server is prevented by the architecture from knowing anything
about the encryption/decryption or integrity-checking. And, it doesn't
know anything about the erasure coding. Therefore, it has less
complexity than the Tahoe-LAFS gateway does, and it is easier to read
the whole source code and understand what it does.

To understand everything that the storage server does, you would need
to read the files in this directory:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/src/allmydata/storage/

Han Zheng: why do you want to study the Tahoe-LAFS source code?