[tahoe-dev] Plans for 1.9.2, 1.10, and 1.11 releases

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon May 14 05:25:35 UTC 2012

Hello Tahoe-LAFS users and hackers!

I'm the release manager for the Tahoe 1.9.2 and 1.10 releases.

Version 1.9.2 will be a bugfix release focussed mainly on fixing
regressions in mutable file support. The mutable publish and retrieve
code was changed extensively in 1.9.0 to support MDMF, and this
unfortunately introduced a few bugs. Several of these have already
been fixed, but the mutable code needs further testing and review to
make sure it is as reliable as possible. There is also an important
regression in immutable upload to be fixed:
<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1212#comment:41>.

1.9.2 will be released from the darcs branch that you can obtain using:

  darcs get --lazy https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/1.9.2 tahoe-1.9.2

or browse at <https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/1.9.2>.

I hope we can release 1.9.2 by the end of May, although that will
depend on how soon we fix the remaining open tickets:

<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=!closed&milestone=1.9.2>

Version 1.10 will include Brian's long-awaited introducer improvements,
using Ed25519-signed announcements, that will be the basis for future
interesting features like multiple introducers and accounting.
It will also include a "move" operation for the web interface and any
other additions that are ready in time for the release, but we won't
wait very long to release it after 1.9.2. It will be released from
git trunk, and we'll probably switch off the darcs-git bridge shortly
afterwards.

The feature set and release schedule of version 1.11 is less certain,
but it could include:
 - improvements to share placement to meet the servers-of-happiness
   criterion in more cases;
 - extending servers-of-happiness to mutable files;
 - some form of accounting;
 - a read-only mode for Tahoe gateways;
 - support for AES+XSalsa encryption (which could in principle be more
   secure against timing attacks than AES alone);
 - a 'tahoe mount' command that simplifies mounting a Tahoe filesystem
   via sshfs;
 - merging the S3 backend support (and possibly other cloud service
   support) developed by Least Authority Enterprises;
 - extending the drop-upload feature to Windows;
 - merging the patches for Tor and I2P into the main release.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥