[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Tue May 22 17:37:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Saint Germain <saintger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I will need to install and use tahoe to be absolutely sure.
> I wanted to have one node on my remote server and one node on my home
> computer. The gateway being on the remote server.
> On my home computer I will access the node with FUSE.
>
> Now if I add a file on my home node, normally (if I understand
> correctly tahoe) it will be also stored on the remote node.
> So that's why I say that I have "synchronisation".

Okay.  It's less like synchronization than a remote file system, though.
 When you copy a file, into the FUSE file system, it gets pushed over the
network right then, however long that takes, and your copy/save/whatever
command doesn't complete until that's done.  This is different from
something like DropBox, where you copy a file into a local directory and a
background process eventually makes sure it's stored remotely as well.
 Reads of files in the FUSE file system also pull the files in over the
network, and any updates require a full file re-write.

> After that the only remaining issue for me is to save to another media
> from time to time (if I don't trust tahoe for instance).
> I can do it from my home node (burn home node content to a DVD) or I
> can do it from the remote node (copy remote note content to a separate
> disk).

That's not what tahoe backup does.  Tahoe backup takes a bunch of local
files and stores them in the grid.  It's another way of achieving the same
thing the FUSE file system does -- storing your files in the grid.  The
difference is that it's intended for making backups of directory trees,
while FUSE is intended for emulating a file system.

Actually, having a local (non-FUSE) directory you copy stuff into and a
cron job that periodically runs tahoe backup on that directory is closer to
a DropBox-type solution than using FUSE.

--
Shawn