[tahoe-dev] another tahoe frontend question

til tilllt at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 12:32:42 UTC 2013

Hi People,

finally i got tahoe running on my Raspberry Pi. I connected successfully to the testgrid, up / downloaded some files, so things seem to work.
Actually i was positively surprised by the speed, a ~ 100mb testfile took roughly 45 minutes, which is far from fast but consideringe the speed of the RPi that was doing the encryption i thought that was decent. The bottleneck in my case usually is the upload speed of the ADSL line which applies to Dropbox (and any other cloud storage) in the same way, without encryption. i wasnt aware that Tahoe encrypts and uploads at the same time, so i guess with a 1Mbit Upload speed usually the encryption is faster then the uploading...

Now the annoying part of my post: To make Tahoe really usable for me, it would need some different kind of frontend. I rarely access Dropbox through the WUI, neither Owncloud, which i am testing at the moment. Since i am following the discussion here for a while now, i know this is probably beyond the available time that anyone of you has right now, but just to have an idea of future developments: Are there plans to make a sync client, like Dropbox & Owncloud have? I was wondering if Sparkleshare could be a possibility... How i understand it, the default backend is Git, but it seems that for somebody who knows programming, it should be possible to create a Tahoe plugin for it:

https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/wiki/Implementing-a-backend

Opinions on that?

cheers,
tilllt