[tahoe-dev] another tahoe frontend question

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 28 13:13:08 UTC 2013

til <tilllt at yahoo.com> writes:

> Now the annoying part of my post: To make Tahoe really usable for me,
> it would need some different kind of frontend. I rarely access Dropbox
> through the WUI, neither Owncloud, which i am testing at the
> moment. Since i am following the discussion here for a while now, i
> know this is probably beyond the available time that anyone of you has
> right now, but just to have an idea of future developments: Are there
> plans to make a sync client, like Dropbox & Owncloud have? I was
> wondering if Sparkleshare could be a possibility... How i understand
> it, the default backend is Git, but it seems that for somebody who
> knows programming, it should be possible to create a Tahoe plugin for
> it:
>
> https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/wiki/Implementing-a-backend

Are you suggesting that wanting sparkleshare has something to do with
RPI?

I don't really follow what sparkleshare wants as a backend provider.  It
seems that tahoe provides a filesystem that is reasonably consistent but
intermittently available, and that seems quite different than git.  When
sparkleshare uses git, is it really using multiple repositories and some
remote update scheme?  Would it make sense to have a git repo in tahoe?
Would it make more sense to design a storage format that is consistent
with writing immutable files and not modifying them much?