[tahoe-dev] SNARKs, constant-time proofs of computation

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:57:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Arthur Breitman
<arthur.breitman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything of the sort planned or available in Tahoe?

Interesting that you should ask! This is called a "Proof-of-Retrievability".

Tahoe-LAFS as it currently exists already has *most* of a
Proof-of-Retrievability! At, least, in my opinion it does. Opinions
differ on this. :-)

I have a long — probably too long — write-up about my ideas about what
Proof-of-Retrievability really *ought* to be and how to extend
Tahoe-LAFS to do that. I've never published it yet. I keep intending
to re-edit it for clarity and then do so. Here are a few breadcrumbs
and notes about the topic that have already been published:

• https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/WeeklyMeeting#a2012-10-16https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-December/007887.html

  “Let's get drunk and argue about whether God can see into the future.”

• Paul Rabahy's good critique:

  https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-December/007888.html