Let us talk about tahoe-lafs mailing lists

Sajith Sasidharan sajith at hcoop.net
Wed Apr 14 13:36:28 UTC 2021

Hello,

We (people who maintain tahoe-lafs these days, not the royal "we") have been
wondering about tahoe-lafs mailing lists, because list activity has slowed
down considerably lately.

This morning I sent a message to tahoe-lafs-weekly-news@ list, and it seems
that someone responded to it with a reply to tahoe-dev at .  Thank you Eugen!

https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2021-April/010010.html

But Eugen's message did not make it to my mailbox.  Our lists have been quite
unreliable lately, possibly because the host that runs them needs some
attention, and possibly because big email providers do not like talking to
small hosts such as ours.  Evidently it is not a pleasant problem to debug.

A similar message I sent to tahoe-announce@ does not show up in the archives,
possibly because that list is set up to accept email only from admins.

It would seem that tahoe-announce@ and tahoe-lafs-weekly-news@ have served
their purpose (low-volume lists for announcements and news), and it is time to
shut them both down.

This list (tahoe-dev@) has a few hundred subscribers.  We have been thinking
about keeping this list running, and shutting down tahoe-lafs-weekly-news@ and
tahoe-announce at .

We would also like to move tahoe-dev@ somewhere else, where someone else can
help us with keeping the list running.  I have started an application
with Oregon State University Open Source Lab (https://osuosl.org/) for this
purpose.  Hopefully they will be able to help us.

If folks here have objections to the above plans, or if you have better ideas,
I am all ears... and I hope that your mail will get routed correctly!

If you'd like to respond to this, please CC me, just in case.

Regards,
Sajith.