Fwd: Easy way for community to volunteer storage

Sajith Sasidharan sajith at hcoop.net
Mon Apr 19 01:43:02 UTC 2021

Hi Swami,

You are right, your email did not make it to the list.  I'm sorry about that.
Our list is a little broken right now.  We're working on fixing it.

Thank you for not giving up on us though!  One challenge we have is not
knowing enough about real world users or usage of Tahoe-LAFS, so I am very
glad that you persisted.

The usage pattern you've proposed sounds like sounds like a variation of what
is called a "friendnet" in Tahoe-LAFS parlance, where a group of friends share
storage with each other.  Tahoe-LAFS could be appropriate for you, although
not quite in its current shape, and not right now, just as you thought.

You have gathered some ideas from the linked Gridsync issue about difficulties
of running Tahoe-LAFS storage nodes in people's home machines.  I am still new
to Tahoe-LAFS, so I am not sure I have better ideas than that.  Hopefully more
experienced people in the list will chime in.

Regarding point 1, Tahoe-LAFS is not super simple to install or use at the
moment.  I suppose we should strive to improve that.  Regarding point 2, I'm
not quite sure what kind of challenges there are when running a storage server
node behind a home router -- I have not partaken in a friendnet myself.  About
all your points, I'd love to heed to the community's wisdom.

To answer your question about interest in the ideas, I do think they are
interesting.  It should be possible to create what you describe using Tahoe-
LAFS as a building block.  I am just unclear about the amount of effort.

In any case, I suppose we should stay in touch. :)

Regards,
Sajith.